A big pot of soup is great to make at the beginning of the week. It's easy and comforting, plus this recipe for Lentil Soup with Sausage and Greens makes enough to enjoy throughout a busy week!
Having a hearty, nutritious meal on hand is key to surviving busy weeks! That's why we love this recipe from Sonali, who blogs at The Foodie Physician.
Her Lentil Soup with Sausage and Greens is packed with nutrients from our lentils, chicken sausage, and vegetables. Better yet, it’s easy to make and inexpensive. It goes a long way in reducing food waste, as you can use whatever veggies you have on hand!
Lentil Soup with Sausage and Greens
- 1 ½ T olive oil, divided
- 1 package (12 ounces) cooked chicken sausage, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 T chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 T tomato paste
- 8 ounces (1 C + 2 T) Farmer Direct Co-op French green lentils, rinsed
- 4 C reduced-sodium vegetable or chicken stock
- 4 C roughly chopped Swiss chard, kale, spinach or other leafy green
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 T balsamic vinegar
- Optional: grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese for topping
Get the full instructions on Sonali's blog, and be sure to check out her other delicious creations!